You are visiting us using the http: protocol instead of the more
secure https: protocol. We continue to support http: for
those people unable to use https:, however we recommend
To switch to https:, click on the "Switch to HTTPS" link above
and use https: the next time you visit us.
The NetHack DevTeam is announcing the release of NetHack 3.6.4 on
December 18, 2019
NetHack 3.6.4 is the official release of NetHack that follows NetHack 3.6.3.
This release corrects an exploitable buffer overflow during config file
processing that was present, but undiscovered, in NetHack 3.6.0, 3.6.1, 3.6.2,
You are encouraged to update to NetHack 3.6.4 as soon as possible.
Here's a brief synopsis of the dozen or so bug fixes included in NetHack
- fix potential buffer overflow when parsing run-time configuration file
- GDBPATH and GREPPATH from sysconf or -D... on compilation command line were
being processed even if PANICTRACE was disabled but only being freed
at end of game when that was enabled
- fix the article used in the message when your steed encounters a polymorph
- allow teleporting onto the vibrating square
- message "your knapsack can't accomodate any more items" when picking stuff
up or removing such from container was inaccurate if there was some
gold pending; vary the message rather than add more convoluted pickup
- dozen-ish assorted spelling/typo fixes in messages and source comments
- wizard mode wishing for terrain would leave it unmapped if done while blind
- wizard mode terrain wish could leave hero in water (severe vision limits)
or in lava (trapped, sinking) which wasn't there any more
- flying hero can go down (via '>') holes or trap doors instead of escaping
- polymorphed hero hiding on the ceiling can now use '>' to unhide instead of
being told "you can't go down here"
- fix compilation on platforms that split the ncurses and tinfo libraries
- Windows: allow all game files to be on a portable device via the sysconf
All of the fixes have been incrementally published on the public Git
repository for the game. A more complete list can be found in the game's
sources in doc/fixes36.4. As usual, a warning that some entries in that
file may also be "spoilers".
Existing saved games and bones files from 3.6.0 through to 3.6.3 should
work with 3.6.4, assuming the same build configuration options were used.
As with all releases of the game, we appreciate your feedback. Please
submit any bugs using the problem report form. Also, please check the
"known bugs" list before you log a problem - somebody else may have
already found it.
Hosted courtesy of alt.org.
NetHack is Copyright 1985-2019 by Stichting Mathematisch Centrum
and M. Stephenson. See
our license for details.
This site is Copyright 1999-2019 by Kenneth Lorber, Kensington, Maryland.